Wednesday 15 September 2010

Forecast: gale force winds and sunny intervals

Have you ever watched "the Deadliest Catch"? You know when they're out
on the high seas and pulling in the pots and practically getting blown
off the boat, well that pretty much sums up the weather we faced today
as we were climbing up to our highest point on the walk, 2560 feet. We
had to stop several times and Tim had to hold onto me as I literally
couldn't hold myself down - clearly I need to eat more pies. We made
it to the top and I threw a rock on the cairn. We couldn't stop for
photos as it was too windy. I also developed a cold in the night so I
was struggling to breathe which isn't ideal when you need to climb
acouple of thousand feet! Tim had it two days ago and is ok now so I
hope mine won't be too bad especially as we have 21 miles to do
tomorrow.

After the highest point we descended out of the winds and made our way
to Haweswater which is nearly 5 miles long. The cloud had lifted at
this point and the views were fab. The picture attached is the view we
had from our lunch stop just before we got to the water.

We were hoping for a nice amble along the water but it was quite rocky
and there was more uphill involved. At least our calves are toning! We
got to the end of the water and our adventure in the Lakes has come to
an end. We carried onto Shap, our destination, and the scenery changed
from the dramatic valleys and fells to rolling countryside with lots
of sheep. We did the last leg with a couple from Milton keynes and
that helped as I was feeling like pants, but the sun was shining and
Timmy held my hand to help me along.

15.5 miles in 8.75 hrs!

No comments:

Post a Comment